It’s October. You may still be figuring out what you are going to be for Halloween but Christmas decorations are creeping into stores (or have been there since August). That means the holidays are right around the corner. If you’re hosting Thanksgiving, a New Year’s Eve party, or just want to be able to relax with your family, start preparing now!
The next few weeks we are going to look at different tasks for preparing for the holidays from food, decorations, gift buying, to spending time with your loved ones.
Let’s start with food. If you’re hosting a meal, dinner party or holiday event, keep reading! These are the tasks you need to get on your calendar!
- Clean your oven. Do that now before you are putting your turkey in the oven or baking your favorite holiday treat!
- Check the state of your linens, dishes, glassware, stemware, and serving dishes. Does anything need to be repaired? Do you need to buy anything? Make a list of what you need and schedule a time to complete this task.
- Plan your menu. Do you provide the main meal and everyone brings side dishes? Or are you doing everything yourself. Figure out who is doing what and let everyone know ahead of time.
- Write your grocery list. Watch for sales and stock up on items early.
- Identify what can be made ahead of time and schedule time to prepare as much as possible before the big day.
- Plan when you will start preparing those items that need to be made the day of. If people are bringing food, will they need the oven? Make sure there’s time to warm up everything before dinner. Can you use a crock pot or roaster to save room for other items in the oven?
Your action item this week is to start thinking about these tasks and get them on your schedule. It will help the holidays be much smoother!
Next post: Decorations!